Out of the classroom, into the world
Out of the classroom, into the world.
There are countless ways for your student to explore and learn outside of the classroom. Below is a list of free or low cost ideas, any of which could be turned into a fascinating JGESA school project. If you know of other ideas please share so we can expand the list.
- Check these out
- Great River Regional Libraries - 100’s of classes, events and activities
- DNR opportunities - Events and Safety Education
- Wright County History Center
- Pioneer Park in Annandale
- Saint John's Abbey Arboretum
- Stearns County History Museum
- Quarry Park and Nature Preserve
- Visit Greater St. Cloud - calendar of events and activities
- Fun 4 Kids calendar of events and activities
- SCSU - Beaver Island Trail
- Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge
- Sand Prairie Wildlife Management and Environmental Education Area
- Paramount Center For The Arts
- MN Amature Baseball Hall of Fame
- Star Tribune Printing Facility Tours
- ttps://leonardosbasement.org/ - makerspace
- National Parks in MN
- Minnesota Fishing Museum and Hall of Fame
- Atlas Obscura 85 things to do in MN
- Cheap Road Trips in MN
- Free tours
- Kids gardening
- Three Rivers Park district
- Tour the Federal Reserve Bank in Minneapolis
- Best free tours in Minnesota
- Landscape arboritum
- Free events through Minnesota History Center - Click here
- 6th Grade Minnesota History Pass - free entry to 26 historical sites for all 6th grade students
- MN State Parks - Many activities. Free admission with a school approved project.
Need a suggestion for a park adventure?
- Join a park naturalist for a walk! events calendar
- Explore a 3-mile loop around Pike Island at Fort Snelling State Park in St. Paul and keep an eye out for wild turkeys near the entrance to the park.
- Hike along the St. Croix River State Water Trail at Afton State Park in Hastings.
- Watch the trumpeter swans at Lake Maria State Park in Monticello.
- Visit the headwaters of the Mississippi River State Water Trail at Itasca State Park in Park Rapids, and look for the first signs of ice between the rocks.
- Take the trail to Shovel Point at Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay while listening to Lake Superior State Water Trail's waves lapping on the shore.
- Check out the views of the Whitewater Valley from the Chimney Rock overlook at Whitewater State Park in southeastern Minnesota.
- See (and hear!) thousands of waterfowl at Lac qui Parle State Park in Montevideo. (Lac qui Parle means "the lake that speaks.)
- Hike the prairie at Blue Mounds State Park in Luverne to see what the bison are up to.
- Go take a hike! Check out our hike recommendations for each park.
- MUNSINGER CLEMENS GARDENS, ST. CLOUD
- FRANKLIN ARTS CENTER, BRAINERD
- KEEPERS OF THE SACRED TRADITION OF PIPEMAKERS, PIPESTONE
- LAKE SUPERIOR MARITIME VISITOR CENTER, DULUTH
- SUPERIOR HIKING TRAIL, NORTH SHORE
- GITCHI-GAMI STATE TRAIL, NORTH SHORE
- FRANCONIA SCULPTURE PARK, SHAFER
- RED WING SHOE COMPANY MUSEUM
- ASTC TRAVEL PASSPORT PROGRAM - nation wide (including MN locations) discounts at science center or museum participating in the ASTC Travel Passport Program, you are eligible for benefits such as free general admission when you travel outside of your local area.
- Other ideas
- Job shadow a parent, friend, or expert in a field that interests the student
- Interview family, friend, or expert about their life, history or a unique experience. (Ex. a Veteran, someone that has traveled to a unique location)
- Turn a family vacation into a learning opportunity. Free admission to all national parks for student learners. Search "application for educational entrance fee waiver national parks" and add the name of the park you plan to attend. You will have to print a form and have your Advisor fill it out with you.
- Contact your local congress representative, law enforcement, local board members, etc... to attended a meeting or spend a day learning about local government process.
The MN Zoo, Science Museam and other venues offer free admission for those with MA health coverage or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).