JGESA is working hard to make sure all the resources our students need during this time of distance learning will be easily accessible. *Other than Khan Academy and Headrush, these are sites not associated with JGESA and simply posted as a reference for families.
We've created a full section specifically for students to use while learning at home. CLICK HERE
Free Math and Reading Tutoring
Does your child need extra support in reading and math? Scholar Squad is here to help! Free, online tutoring is available to Minnesota families with a student in PreK-8th grade. Request help today by visiting ScholarSquad.org!
Virtual Field Trips
- 100 Virtual Field Trips
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- MN State Parks
- 12 Famous Museums
- 33 National Parks
- 20 Virtual Field Trips
Books and Reading Resources
Social Studies Resources
- https://www.icivics.org - iCivics' free civics resources provide enrichment activities and lessons to keep learning going at home.
- Teach Outdoors Minnesota
- Conservation Connect is a web-based video series produced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Conservation Training Center (NCTC)
- US Forest Service’s Natural Inquirer magazine
- Science Museum Omni
- Environmental Education at Home
- Minnesota State Engineering Center for Excellence Stem At Home
- Ftudents can be wildlife DJs while learning about habitats at home! The BeastBox game and our free lessons explore how animals use sound to communicate within the ecosystems they live in. Students can work independently to sort animals into habitats, unlock cool beats and create unique BeastBox music. Content is ideal for students in grades 4-8. https://www.birds.cornell.edu/k12/beastbox/
- USDA Forest Service
- Research and Development (R&D) Research and Development (R&D) scientists carry out basic and applied research to study biological, physical, and social sciences related to very diverse forests and rangelands.
- Conservation Education Learn about the role of Conservation Education in the Forest Service. Educators can find an Educator Toolbox!
- Discover The Forest Learn about forests and parks located near you, as well as cool games and activities you can do outdoors.
- FS NatureLIVE Check out 10 different distance learning adventures, including FreshWaterLIVE, PollinatorsLIVE, ClimateChangeLIVE, and more!
- Smokey Bear
- Woodsy Owl
- Junior Forest Rangers
- Junior Snow Rangers
- Northern Research Station Environmental Literacy Program Integrating research results into educational programs and activities to provide the knowledge, skills, and motivation necessary for citizens to make responsible environmental choices.
- Wildland Fire
- Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center
- Untrammeled, a series of 5 wilderness education shorts: Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5
- Why Fire is Good (But You Still Shouldn't Start a Forest Fire) Untamed Science video
- The Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Problem Untamed Science video
- How to Get Good, Clean Drinking Water Untamed Science video
- Interactive Atlas of Climate Change: Bird & Tree Species Examine current distributions and modeled future-climate habitats for 134 individual tree species and 150 bird species.
- Avalanche Center Learn about avalanche research, avalanche safety, and take an interactive tour of the backcountry!
- Climate Change in the Southern Appalachians
- Wildland Fire in the Southern Appalachians
- Research Highlights Research highlights by topic or by year.
- National Forest and Grassland Pronunciation Guide
- KidsFishing Every kid's passport to a lifetime of fiscovery, fun and adventure through fishing.
- Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study Linking science and students in the northeastern US and beyond.
United States Department of Agriculture
- USDA for Kids
- Backyard Conservation
- USDA Agriculture in the Classroom
- Soil Education for Kids and Teens
- The Science of Soil Health NRCS video
Other Useful Websites
- Experiential Learning Depot
- FIND Outdoors Go Find Outdoors celebrates the birthplace of forestry and forestry education in America and promotes, demonstrates, and stimulates interest in and knowledge of the sustainable management of America's forest lands for the multiple benefits.
- Project Learning Tree (PLT) An environmental education curriculum focused on PreK-12th grade.
- Science: A Work In Progress Smithsonian Science Education Center video
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Education Free educational resources based on citizen science and birds.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Citizen Science All about citizen science and opportunities to participate in citizen science with birds.
- American Museum of Natural History - Young Naturalist Awards Inquiry-based science competition for students in grades 7-12.
- Drought.gov Up-to-date information on drought.
- USGS Water Science School
- USGS Schoolyard Geology
- USGS Educational Videos and Animations
- BLM My Public Lands Junior Ranger
- BLM Educator Resources
- BLM Outdoor Ethics Learn about Leave No Trace ethics and how they relate to our public lands.
- EPA Student Center Abundance of information on environmental activities and involvement for kids.
- EPA Exploring Estuaries Learn all about estuaries!
- EPA Climate Change Basics Video introduction to the issue of climate change.
- EPA National Stormwater Calculator Estimate the annual amount of rainwater and frequency of runoff from a specific site anywhere in the United States!
- EPA Carbon Footprint Calculator
- NASA Climate Kids
- NASA Earth Observatory Learn about earth science and the world in which we live.
- NASA Global Climate Change Check Earth’s vital signs and learn about climate change.
- NASA Images of Change Satellite photos of Earth showing effects of climate change.
- NASA Space Place Video about telling trees apart from space!
- National Park Service Web Rangers Learn all about National Parks.
- National Park Service Educators Educational resources, activities, and lesson plans.
- NOAA National Climate Data Center See how vegetation is responding to climate change.
- NOAA Game Arcade Fun games to help teach kids about our planet.
- NOAA National Weather Service with Owlie Learn science and safety with Owlie Skywarn.
- NOAA Teaching Climate Science, maps, and other educational resources about climate change.
- USFWS National Wildlife Refuge System This outdoor learning tool provides links to fun facts and information you can use on trips to national refuges.
- USFWS Migratory Bird Program Education Resources
- Recreation.gov Discover camping spots, national parks and forests, and more!
- GLOBE.gov Citizen science opportunities related to the natural world.
- National Science Foundation
- National Science Teachers Association
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science K-12 Programs Teacher workshops, scientist biographies, and more.
- Wilderness.net A great resource for information about wilderness areas in the United States!
- USPTO Collectable Cards Cards featuring various inventors from diverse backgrounds.
- The Untold History of Women in Science and Technology Listen to women from all across the Administration tell the stories of their personal heroes across the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- National Forest Foundation
- Green Strides A collection on environmental education tools and resources.
- Waterviz A water cycle visualization tool.
- UCAR Climate & Water Teaching Box Educator resources for explorations and readings into how climate change is affecting the water cycle.
- Science News for Students News and feature articles about science written for students.
- Rain to Drain- Slow the Flow Curriculum Penn State Extension and Pennsylvania 4H teamed up to create this curriculum for middle school, but can be adapted for other age levels. You can download a FREE pdf of the curriculum from their website.
- Into the Outdoors An education network that empowers today's youth and adults around them to think critically about our planet.
- Multiverse Making Earth and space science accessible through transformative education.
- TeachEngineering STEM curriculum for K-12.
NEPRIS feat. Dr. Lindsay Rustad of the USDA Forest Service Making industry engagement part of the everyday classroom by empowering teachers to engage students in STEAM!
National Environmental Education Foundation - Environmental Education at Home In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NEEF is committed to helping parents and educators following "social distancing" guidelines to slow the spread of this dangerous virus. However, even if you have to stick close to home, there are still many activity guides and citizen science projects available for children of all ages to learn about environmental education.
National Forests Virtual Field Trip Join Darley Newsom as she travels to the many special places located on America's National Forests and Grasslands.
Live Cams from Wildlife Centers and Zoos
- Monticello Education Connection
- Educational TED Talks
- Maplewood Summer Challenges (all ages)
- https://curiositystream.com/ - 1000's of documentaries on just about any subject - ask your Advisor for access
Explore careers, obtain training, find scholarships- great resource for our students interested in the trades!
More Free at-home Learning